Senior Software Engineer
🚀 About Us
We’re building the world’s workforce migration platform to eliminate friction to economic mobility.
Borderless is breaking down borders. In many countries, there are huge workforce shortages in important sectors like healthcare, construction and education. At the same time, there are talented people all over the world looking to migrate for greater economic opportunity. Unfortunately, borders and bureaucracy get in the way.
We’re starting in the UK care sector where the problem is particularly acute. Care providers regularly turn away large numbers of families who need care, because they simply don’t have the staff. We also hear distressing accounts of care workers being charged £20,000+ by unethical third parties to secure a job in the UK. We believe something must change.
Borderless is a technology platform that streamlines hiring and sponsorship for both employers and candidates, enabling employers to fill their staffing shortages and workers to migrate for new opportunities. Using our software, employers can ethically source, hire and relocate staff without needing to become an expert in UK immigration law; while candidates are fully supported throughout the process.
⚡️About the Role
We’re looking for a senior software engineer to work directly with the founders to design & build the platform to help more people effortlessly migrate around the world. This is a unique opportunity in which you will experience rapid personal growth alongside a close-knit and highly collaborative team. As an early-stage hire, you’ll work alongside the founders & engineering team to continue delivering value to our customers.
🔥 What you'll do:
- Be part of the team responsible for building products for merchants/partners and consumers on top of our new payment network
- Build services and software that's fast, resilient and and meets our challenging scale, integrity and security needs
- Improve engineering standards, tooling and processes as we grow
- You’ll build high-value customer facing features that will allow employers to hire internationally easily & help people migrate to the UK seamlessly
- You’ll work across our code & no-code stack, using whatever tool gets the job done
- You’ll work to integrate our product with different API’s & third party tools.
- You'll contribute to the architecture design and implementation of backend and frontend systems across various platforms
- You'll build and improve internal automation tools and processes to drive productivity across all we do
- Work with other engineers, product managers and designers across the company to prioritise, build, measure and iterate over new features or products
- Mentor and help grow your peers and junior engineers, as well as be open to feedback and mentoring from those around you
👩💻 What you'll need:
- Significant experience in communicating and working with software teams, and working towards building inclusive, fun environment
- Experience developing and deploying production-level software
- The ability to reason intelligently about complex, uncertain problems and reduce them down to clean, simple abstractions through well designed systems
- A track record of taking software end-to-end, from inception working alongside product managers and designers to production and beyond
- Experience developing distributed, reliable and resilient systems
- Have built 3rd-party integrations and internal/external APIs in the past
- Keen to take ownership of features, find ways to “get things done” and assess their impact
- Ability to work in a rapid iteration product environment, making smart trade-offs where necessary
👩🔧 Nice to have:
- Experience working at an early stage startup
- Experience with no-code tools such as Glide & Make
- Experience with Typescript, React & Python
- Communication Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and work in a small team.
- Energy Incredible energy, passion and enthusiasm for growing a business which can have global impact.
- Adaptable Can operate at multiple levels: not afraid to roll up sleeves and able to think creatively & strategically about our approach
- Bias for action Fast learner, pick things up quickly, you want to hustle and do things now rather than later.
- Autonomous Able to flourish in an unstructured and uncertain environment, with less formal guidance. You’re self-motivated, proactive, and adaptable to change.
- Drive to improve You’re constantly seeking improvements to our system & process.
- 💷 Salary: £55K-£85K
- 💫 Equity up to £25K. Being a part of our journey means you will own a piece of Borderless
- ✈️ 25 days holiday each year + plus bank holidays
- 💻 Equipment and infrastructure: We give you a budget for all the equipment you need to work effectively wherever you are
- 📚 £500 Annual Learning & Development budget
- 🚲 Cycle To Work scheme
- 🍍 Every fourth Friday: company lunch + half day
👥 Our Team and Way We Work
Prefer in-person work: our whole team generally operates in-person (we’re based at the Hoxton WeWork). We’re flexible on periodic remote days when needed.
We’re a small but diverse team, with 7 different nationalities represented! Check us out here.
We believe in the potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.