CNC Setter/Operator (Milling)
Chelmsford, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Who are CloudNC?
CloudNC's mission is to make single-click manufacture a reality.
We build software that automates control of CNC machines - metal cutting robots that make >$1Trn of components every year, for anything from aircraft to iPhones to cars.
Worldwide over 100 million hours are spent painstakingly programming these incredible machines by hand every year, and we believe this is a colossal waste of human time and talent in an industry already facing an existential skills crisis. Our software, CAM Assist, brings one-click automation to CNC machining.
Our world-class team, with tier 1 financial backers including Atomico, Autodesk and Lockheed Martin, combines expertise in computer science and physical manufacturing, from our locations in London and Chelmsford.
We are scaling from Series B to C at pace and are fully funded for this growth.
Hours - 6am-2pm and 2pm-10pm, alternating every 2 weeks.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Setup, operation (including reading programs as required) and regular maintenance of our computer numeric controlled (CNC) machines. You will be responsible for ensuring we produce quality parts and tools specific to engineering drawings and client standards
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
● Setting and operating of CNC Machining centres and Cutting Tools to prove out first off and production, in line with customer requirement and specification.
● supporting our production engineers and machinists, by setting up new tools and creating datum reference points to ensure smooth running of the machine.
● Oversees machinery setup to make sure arrangement is safe and ready to handle its assigned load
● Running artefacts in response to tool breakages. Interpret, & understand kinematics
● Safely load and unload raw materials into the CNC machines.
● Identifies solutions for process improvement (adjustments to speed, tool paths, cut, and other factors)
● Performs work by following the company's operating standards, procedures and instructions from shift leads/shift manager
● Regularly inspects machines for mechanical and safety issues
● Perform preventative and regular maintenance on machines, equipment and tools
● Makes sure machines remain well-stocked so that as few interruptions of service as possible exist
● Examine machinery production output to verify the product is acceptable to move onto the next part of the production process
● Maintains and updates records about the machine's operations
● Isolate and potentially quarantine any piece that may not conform to customer specification and report accordingly.
● Escalate any issues with NC tool paths to the responsible CAM programmer/Line manager.
● Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
● Manual and/or hand finishing of machined components.
● Support ‘goods out’ by packaging machined components ready for dispatch.
● Comply to quality standards and customer specification by setting gauges and utilising manual measuring instruments appropriately.
● Troubleshoot problems during production processes to ensure adherence to quality standards.
Education / Qualifications / Training
- Apprentice trained in mechanical engineering (or equivalent experience)
- Proficiency in reading and interpreting engineering drawings and specifications.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in operating CNC machines (ideally producing metal components)
- Understanding CNC machining strategies (particularly milling/turning) and an understanding of speed, tool paths, and other factors.
- Practical knowledge of measuring tools, equipment, and concepts.
- Solid understanding of machining parameters, able to confidently diagnose and rectify production issues alongside CAM Programmers.
- Experience in setting & operating CNC machines, including installing workpieces, fixtures, cutting tools.
- Ability to select and install appropriate cutting tools, tool holders, and fixtures for the machining process.
What you will receive…
In return for your efforts supporting our mission, you will receive the following benefits & perks
● Competitive Salary
● Stock Options!
● Private Healthcare
● 30 Days Annual Leave
● Enhanced primary, secondary and adoption parental pay & leave (maternity/paternity)
● Monthly Lunches
● Team Socials
● ThanksBen Benefit - £50 per month
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, valuing individuality and embracing all people. The success of CloudNC is a result of diversity of thought. We recognise this comes from people truly belonging. We encourage different perspectives and skills to collaborate towards our mission - disrupting the manufacturing industry. We celebrate diversity and continually improve our inclusivity efforts.