Senior Software Engineer
Legl is a fast-growing, vertical B2B SaaS platform with a mission to bring the legal industry into the 21st century. We closed our Series B (May 2022), and are scaling quickly on our next phase of growth.
Our vision is to be part of a structural change in the legal industry so that firms, as well as their clients, have a better experience of accessing legal services. We launched in October 2019 and in the short time since then have built a large law firm customer base who love our product and our team.
We have an agile, ambitious and collaborative team. With deep experience across design, tech and the industry, we put our employees first. We’re looking for people who can grow with us.
Our core values are agility, ambition, and collaboration. We rely heavily on data and first principles decision-making.
Joining Legl as a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be immersed across our technical process. Collaborating with our agile squads, you’ll design and build elegant solutions to complex user problems.
As part of our journey to transform the Legal industry, our Engineering team is key to delivering our best-in-class user experience. Focusing predominantly on the back-end, there’s no expectation that you are as comfortable across the whole stack, but continuous learning and continuous improvement is integral to our agile ways of working.
You’ll also be helping us to continuously improve how we work - whether that’s with new ways of working, new best practice or new tools & technologies.
Our Stack and Environment
We work in collaborative, cross-functional, agile development teams that are empowered to achieve their goals, with a focus on working smart to delivering value early and quickly. We have an agile system that aims to provide structure where we need it and get out of the way the rest of the time, and we’re always looking for ways to improve our processes. The same is true for our development tools and practices, where we aim to automate what we can, collaborate where we can and are constantly on the lookout for new ideas that will enable us to work better.
- Embed within one of our agile squads to contribute towards the end-to-end delivery of innovative software solutions
- Approach engineering from a product-led perspective, understanding the route challenge within problems and solving the core functionality for law firms & their clients
- Support the ongoing maintenance of our codebase and the operation of our platform
- Contribute to efforts to improve Engineering team ways of working, as well as our conventions, best practices, technologies and tackling of technical debt
- Immerse yourself in the continuous improvement of our backend capabilities, whilst remaining curious about the wider stack
How would we describe success?
Success in this role after 6 months looks like:
- Plays an active role in planning & delivery of features. Supporting your fellow Software Engineers in their reviews
- Beginning to embed as a core member of their squad and developing a strong functional understanding of Legl’s product
- Aware of the gaps in your knowledge across our technical stack, and working with other Software Engineers to help develop your skills
- Contributing towards the technical direction of your squad whilst suggesting improvements across development standards or team processes
- Good knowledge of Python programming language with experience using Django a bonus
- Comfortable in Test Driven Development approaches would be beneficial but not essential
- Passionate about technology, and excited to learn through experience and collaboration
- Product-minded, always aim to understand the core of the problem and focus on the objective you’re aiming to achieve
- Committed to continuous improvement, and have mentored, trained or led engineers to success
- Write clean, performant, tested and maintainable code
- Care about impact, love a challenge, and take ownership of your work
- Competitive salary and share options: we all share in Legl’s success
- Legl has a dynamic, remote-first culture, with a focus on making work work for you. We give generous budgets for home set-ups, co-working space use if you need or want it and access to office spaces for collaboration in person, no matter where you live.
- Opportunity to join a well-funded, post-Series B startup in our mission to make legal services better for everyone
- High impact work that really matters - success in this role will drive our growth and have a big impact on the business and our clients
- A focus on wellbeing with access to support sessions with a psychotherapist and a personal wellbeing budget of £250 per year
- A learning and development budget of £1000 per year
- Regular company socials with bi-annual offsites, where we all get together in-person, as well as frequent remote social events
We believe that having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Something looks off?