Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2022
Who are CloudNC:
CloudNC is a technology company reinventing precision manufacturing by automating CNC CAM programming, enabled by data and experience.
Our world-class team combines expertise in computer science and physical manufacturing, from our locations in London and Chelmsford.
We are scaling from Series B to C at pace and are fully funded for this growth. We have recently launched our first new software solution CAM Assist, which accelerates manual CAM programming time by 80%, enabling manufacturers to be more productive.
As we continue to expand our Autonomous Machining Team (AMT), we are looking for an experienced Simulation Engineer.
The purpose of this role is to combine engineering, physics and materials principles with rigorous problem solving to develop models to underpin our autonomous manufacturing technologies, serving both internal and external customers.
The Simulation Engineer will work as part of the Factory R&D team, collaborating with software engineers, production engineers, machinists and product owners in the following responsibilities:
To develop parameterisable, physically-based models of phenomena where the underlying physics is sufficiently well understood. This is often done from first-principles.
To develop data driven, parameterisable models where physical models are not suitable.
To gain, through design of suitable experiments and analysis of rig and machine data, fundamental understanding of the machining process.
To apply multi-objective optimisation techniques to maximise efficiency, quality, and repeatability of end-to-end production processes.
To apply suitable methods to understand correlation/causality between observed phenomena, and for the rapid identification of abnormal behaviour.
Skills and Experience
- Developing and correlating robust simulation models of aspects of the production process (currently focussing on milling) through experimentation, analytics, and use of existing research, specifically in the following areas:
- Propose, implement and test new models - or refinements to existing models - associated with key metrics such as tool wear, finished surface geometric accuracy, surface quality, and vibration.
- Understand and critically appraise existing models and their inherent assumptions and approximations.
- Work with other stakeholders to identify key areas of the model for improvement, typically driven by potential value to end-users.
- Conduct research to support applicable model development and analytics techniques.
- Assist with hands-on development, commissioning and running of rigs required to gather data to support model development.
- Contribute to planning and reporting activities in order to support business and specification development, including delivering presentations to key stakeholders. Share knowledge and understanding of new techniques used.
Simulation Engineer Requirements:
- Outstanding academic background with MEng or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline (high 2:1 or above.)
- Ability to quickly understand complex problems, conduct experiments to test hypotheses, and implement a route to solve them.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate technical information.
- Experience using and developing models in Python (Maple, Julia, Matlab, also useful.) Experience of typical software development processes and tools is useful.
- Ability to manage and prioritise time on concurrent projects while working with different stakeholders.
We are nothing without our teams, and as such you’ll receive:
- Stock Options upon joining
- Annual performance equity award
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays
- Private Healthcare and life assurance
- Enhanced family-friendly policies
- Active mental health and wellbeing forum
- £50 monthly benefit allowance
- Team Socials
- Hack days
Equal opportunities statement.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, valuing individuality and embracing all people. The success of CloudNC is a result of diversity of thought. We recognise this comes from people truly belonging. We encourage different perspectives and skills to collaborate towards our mission – disrupting the manufacturing industry.