Machining Strategy Product Owner
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Machining Strategy Product Owner (London, Flexible)
Who are CloudNC:
CloudNC is a technology company reinventing precision manufacturing by automating CNC CAM programming, enabled by data and experience.
Our world-class team combines expertise in computer science and physical manufacturing, from our locations in London and Chelmsford.
We are scaling from Series B to C at pace and are fully funded for this growth. We have recently launched our first new software solution CAM Assist, which accelerates manual CAM programming time by 80%, enabling manufacturers to be more productive.
What it’s like to work together.
We are embarking on a strong scaling strategy and pivotal to this success are the people. Our teams have their own individuality and operate with their own cadence, we would love to have those discussions with you during the interview process. We are guided by the mission and by being humans of empathy, intellectual curiosity, collaboration, and continuous improvement/development (of self and the team).We are over 80 people strong, with the ambition to double this headcount in the near future. We encourage your thoughts and feedback to help shape the company, whether through direct correspondence, feedback platforms, open door time and other channels. We operate a “flexible first” environment, our HQ office is based in London and our modern factory is based in Chelmsford, Essex.
We are searching for a Machining Strategy Product Owner to help us guide product development. As a valued member of our team you will be central to our product lifecycle: curating our backlog of features; and informing our product strategy.
You will live and breathe our products on a daily basis as well as liaising with internal and external users to ensure their needs are fulfilled in our products. Moreover you will drive the future product developments being a key member of our engineering team and ensuring that their tasks provide the maximum business value.
The role is based in London and as a key communicator between software engineering, stakeholders, and subject matter experts, you will also spend time at our manufacturing facility in Chelmsford (travel expenses paid).
You are a hands-on technical leader looking for a challenging product owner role in a complex domain, with experience in Business Analysis, System Engineering, Product Owner/Manager, Lead Engineer or other product focussed role. You are an excellent communicator and have a strong background in managing the scope of a product across multiple releases and translating the scope into engineering tasks.
You are passionate about working with subject matter experts and software engineering teams and the opportunity to create something world-leading is too good to miss.
You have expert knowledge of CNC machining technology, toolpaths and strategies, and the idea of working with machines of jaw dropping power and sophistication excites you. You are capable of becoming intimately familiar with the technically complex applications that are used to control these machines, which will facilitate a user-centric approach to your work.
- Curate the product vision and feature roadmap
- Assist Product Management to align the product roadmap to strategic goals
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to analyse user needs
- Create, refine and maintain a detailed product backlog of features, user stories and requirements, including scope and definition of done
- Prioritise the product backlog appropriately against strategic goals
- Collaborate with Engineering Managers, Technical Authorities and the teams directly to facilitate pipelining and estimation of the backlog
- Represent users within the engineering teams, including: design reviews, requirement clarification and iterative feedback
- Act as an ambassador for the product internally and as the primary contact for queries related to the product
- Live and breathe your assigned product every day, and use your expertise to influence team priorities and the wider product strategy
- Work collaboratively as a key member of a cross-functional agile team
- Work at our Chelmsford factory (likely between once per week and once per month), to develop relationships with subject matter experts and to gain first hand experience using our products in a real and R&D environment
- Work with managers and senior engineers to produce progress reports for company leadership
- Manage User Acceptance Testing (UAT) process, and sign off for delivered features
- Triage bugs and communicate their status to the team and stakeholders
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in an engineering field
- Proven experience as a technical lead for an engineering project
- Experience with CNC machining technology, toolpaths and strategies
- Experience with CAD/CAM products
- Define, explain and iterate a product vision
- Effective stakeholder engagement
- Strong attention to detail
- Develop and prioritise a product backlog, making decisions based on user needs, data, personal experience and engineering pragmatism
- Set measurable goals for your product
- Excellent communication skills with a diverse range of roles, skills, experience and personality types
- Structured approach involving written traceability, including discovery and requirements gathering
- Organise and distribute large amounts of written information
- Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience as a Product Owner
- Experience with any complex engineering or manufacturing software
- Experience within a complex engineering or manufacturing domain such as Automotive, Robotics, Aerospace and Defence etc
- Comfortable preparing and giving presentations
We are nothing without our teams, and as such you’ll receive:
- Stock Options upon joining
- Annual performance equity award
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays
- Private Healthcare and life assurance
- Enhanced family-friendly policies
- Active mental health and wellbeing forum
- £50 monthly benefit allowance
- Team Socials
- Hack days
Equal opportunities statement.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, valuing individuality and embracing all people. The success of CloudNC is a result of diversity of thought. We recognise this comes from people truly belonging. We encourage different perspectives and skills to collaborate towards our mission – disrupting the manufacturing industry.