Product Owner - Machining Strategy
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Who are CloudNC?
CloudNC's mission is to make single-click manufacturing a reality.
We build software that automates control of CNC machines - metalcutting robots that make >$1Trn of components every year, for anything from aircraft to iPhones to cars.
Worldwide over 100 million hours are spent painstakingly programming these incredible machines by hand every year, and we believe this is a colossal waste of human time and talent in an industry already facing an existential skills crisis. Our software, CAM Assist, brings one-click automation to CNC machining.
Our world-class team, with tier 1 financial backers including Atomico, Autodesk and Lockheed Martin, combines expertise in computer science and physical manufacturing, from our locations in London and Chelmsford.
We are scaling from Series B to C at pace and are fully funded for this growth.
We are searching for a Machining Strategy Product Owner to help us guide product development. As a valued member of our team you will be central to our product lifecycle: curating our backlog of features; and informing our product strategy.
You will live and breathe our products on a daily basis as well as liaising with internal and external users to ensure their needs are fulfilled in our products. Moreover you will drive the future product developments being a key member of our engineering team and ensuring that their tasks provide the maximum business value.
The role is based in London and as a key communicator between software engineering, stakeholders, and subject matter experts, you will also spend time at our manufacturing facility in Chelmsford (travel expenses paid).
You are a hands-on technical leader looking for a challenging product owner role in a complex domain, with experience in Business Analysis, System Engineering, Product Owner/Manager, Lead Engineer or other product focussed role. You are an excellent communicator and have a strong background in managing the scope of a product across multiple releases and translating the scope into engineering tasks.
You are passionate about working with subject matter experts and software engineering teams and the opportunity to create something world-leading is too good to miss.
You have expert knowledge of CNC machining technology, toolpaths and strategies, and the idea of working with machines of jaw dropping power and sophistication excites you. You are able to specify machining best practices across individual features to the whole part. You are also able to review existing strategies providing constructive feedback to engineering teams.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to analyse machining strategies
- Specify manufacturing best practices to software engineering teams
- Translate constructive feedback on strategies to actionable items
- Manage User Acceptance Testing (UAT) process, and sign off for delivered features
- Triage bugs and communicate their status to the team and stakeholders
- Represent users within the engineering teams, including: design reviews, requirement clarification and iterative feedback
- Curate the product vision and feature roadmap
- Assist Product Management to align the product roadmap to strategic goals
- Prioritise the product backlog appropriately against strategic goals
- Collaborate with Engineering Managers, Technical Authorities and the teams directly to facilitate pipelining and estimation of the backlog
- Work at our Chelmsford factory (likely between once per week and once per month), to develop relationships with subject matter experts and to gain first hand experience using our products in a real and R&D environment
- Work with managers and senior engineers to produce progress reports for company leadership
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in an engineering field
- Proven experience as a technical lead for an engineering project
- Experience with CNC machining technology, toolpaths and strategies
- Experience with CAD/CAM products
- Define, explain and iterate a product vision
- Effective stakeholder engagement
- Strong attention to detail
- Develop and prioritise a product backlog, making decisions based on user needs, data, personal experience and engineering pragmatism
- Set measurable goals for your product
- Excellent communication skills with a diverse range of roles, skills, experience and personality types
- Structured approach involving written traceability, including discovery and requirements gathering
- Organise and distribute large amounts of written information
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience as a Product Owner
- Experience with any complex engineering or manufacturing software
- Experience within a complex engineering or manufacturing domain such as Automotive, Robotics, Aerospace and Defence etc
- Comfortable preparing and giving presentations
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, valuing individuality and embracing all people. The success of CloudNC is a result of diversity of thought. We recognise this comes from people truly belonging. We encourage different perspectives and skills to collaborate towards our mission - disrupting the manufacturing industry. We celebrate diversity and continually improve our inclusivity efforts.