What is THIS™?
THIS™ is a high-growth, VC-backed emerging leader in producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact, if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading-edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk - www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue. Last year, in 2023, THIS™ topped Alantra’s annual Fast 50 list, a ranking of the country’s fastest-growing food and drink companies on two-year sales growth. We have strong aspirations to continue this growth trajectory as we aim to be the number 1 plant-based brand in the UK and beyond and we believe we have the team and investment to achieve this.
Why are we doing THIS™?
We’re Andy and Pete - co-founders of THIS™. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren't really for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we've basically ended up making THIS™ for ourselves, but we'd love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS™ is a game-changer.
At our core, we believe:
- Stereotypes around plant-based food need to be bulldozed
- Guilt-trips don’t make people hungry
- Plant-based food should mean zero compromise - this is how we can recruit more meat reducers to the category
What’s with this role?
The successful candidate will be an essential addition to the company’s Innovation function, maintaining and developing world class plant based products for the retail and food service markets. This role sits within the Development team, reporting to a Technical Project Manager, with a focus on continuous improvement to our existing product portfolio and supporting the delivery of new product launches.
What will you be getting up to?
- This is a unique opportunity to join the Innovation team and help to develop the greatest plant-based products of all time (probably). Just try our current products and you’ll know we mean business!
- Lead continuous improvement programmes for the company’s current products on the market as well as development of new plant-based product
- Lead the formulation development, including lab- and kitchen-based trial
- Work closely with and lead the communication with external ingredient suppliers to source novel ingredients that are key to developing our product
- Working with our science team where necessary to really understand functionality of ingredients and processes that will define the future of our products.
- Work collaboratively with the technology team and third party manufacturers to ensure lab developed products are successfully launched at factory scale
- Planning, organisation and controlling of resources (ingredients, deliveries, lab consumables etc) to deliver concept samples in order to meet required deadlines
- Organisation and delivery of taste panels to present concepts and progress throughout development phases to stakeholders and share findings
- Deliver world leading claims and labelling for new products on the market, with a focus on clean label initiatives
- Establishing best practice procedures for the company around new product testing and analysis.
- Development of quality standards, procedures and specifications to ensure the products you develop meet quality expectations and are compliant with food safety regulations
- Keep a close eye on future market trends and appetites, to help inform and support the company’s innovation strategy moving forwards.
- You will be based at our new head office in Ravenscourt Park, London. This is also home to our Innovation team, with brand new kitchen & lab facilities where all our wacky ideas come to life!
- As the lead product developer on projects you will be predominantly based in the lab & kitchen facility.
- The Innovation team is office-based and expected to be in the office at least 4 days a week, with some travel to our external suppliers and co-manufacturing sites where necessary. This role requires agility where no 2 days are the same!
What are we looking for?
- Someone with an end-to-end understanding of the food innovation process, from idea conception to launching a product to market.
- A degree in food science, chemistry, engineering or equivalent.
- 1-2 years in a similar product development or technologist role within FMCG. Prior experience in development of food products from inception through to launch is preferred but not essential.
- Comfortable working in a lab and kitchen environment and carrying out formulation iterations independently
- A problem solver - science is at the heart of our innovation team. So we stay ahead of the competition it’s essential we are constantly developing functional solutions to deliver game-changing products
- Passion and hunger for food and sustainability. Taste and quality are TOP of our agenda.
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Things in our business can change quickly - so being comfortable reacting calmly and quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is important
Alignment with our company values:
- You’ve Got THIS™: You’re A HUSTLER with proactivity, a tenacious character and a positive attitude. This person will need to get sh*t done in a major way and knock through what will seem like brick walls. We are leading the category in terms of product, and for us to stay there you will need to have a relentlessness that isn’t in everybody.
- Love The Details: You strive for high standards and go above and beyond for the customer experience - it’s the little things that make people fall in love with our brand over and over again.
- Be Your True S(h)elf: Honesty and integrity is key, you should have a conviction in your work to improve your patch of the world for yourself and for others and you’re invested in a feedback culture to support that.
- Be Kind Loads: We’re colleagues but also mates (unless we're playing table tennis) so you’re a team player who looks out for others and treats everyone with the same respect and kindness - pots and pots of it.
As a fast-growing business, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because - they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They're not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- We are offering share options in our company to everyone who joins us.
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank-holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We're not a 9-5. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- Private healthcare
- Life assurance
- Mental health support - the company pays for Spill, a mental health wellness provider that gives everyone access to mental health resources, and qualified therapists for unlimited therapy sessions.
- Access to our Freebie Freezer so you can eat as much of THIS™ as you fancy.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a relatively small, albeit growing, team you'll be exposed to, and have the chance to contribute towards, challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.
We'd love to hear from you, so feel free to apply with your CV and cover letter and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
- THIS Office
Already working at THIS™?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.